Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ramen Noodle Salad



This one came from my mother-in-law. It is another one of those that upon looking at it I thought they were crazy, but then I realized I was the crazy one for never having had it before.

I feel I may have missed exposure to some pretty yummy stuff growing up as my family consists of some of the pickiest folk I have met yet. They do not eat seafood, not even shrimp or walleye or bass. They don't eat many vegetables, we are talking potatoes and corn (which lets face it, are really starches), then they eat raw carrots and occationally some peppers and onions in their omlets, cheese balls or breakfast burritos, but only if they are cooked fully. They turn their nose at spinache artichoke dip and my dad will eat a lb of gizzards with me but not the others.


I have found I rather like all of these things and many more. One such item is cabbage. I have always loved a good runza and created my own recipe when I moved 3 hours away from the closest Runza Resaurant then a few hours further. I have never been a large fan of coleslaw but Wayne holds it in his top 10, so I did find one Kraft brand claw mix I can tollerate. This recipe however, is my favorite side dish for cabbage....



Ingredients:
1 package shredded cabbage or cole slaw mix (1lb)
1 cup slivered almonds
2 packages Ramen Noodles (uncooked)

Dressing:
1 package Ramen Seasoning
3T sugar
3T vinegar
1/2 cup oil


Directions:
Place cabbage in large mixing or serving bowl.
Mix dressing ingredients and poor over cabbage. Toss until well coated. Just before serving add crunched Ramen and almonds, toss again.


It is a yummy picnic treat too!




2 comments: