Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Bread Man...

We go through bread like mad with a family of 5. I love me some 9 grain $5 a loaf bread but long ago had to give it up for the $.89 white bread. I was discussing our issues with the cost of bread with my in-laws one weekend in Gillette and my S-I-L said they had purchased a bread machine and can make a loaf in it for cheaper than she can buy it over there.  though, hmmmmm, fresh bread would be awesome with fresh preserves from the garden!

When I went on a pants recon the next week at the Salvation Army (we have 2 months left before shorts season, I just needed a couple pairs for Andy to stretch through because guaranteed he would need a new size come fall and Zach usually can't wear his hand-me-downs), I seen a Breadman Bread Machine there....awesome. Knowing that it would likely be a phase we would go whole heartedly at for a while then loose interest and go back to the store, I decided this second hand cheaper one was the perfect way to try it out.

Thus far we have found a quick simple daily recipe for our morning toast as well as yummy dessert versions such as chocolate zucchini bread, banana bread and a whole book full I have had in the cupboard. We throw our daily toast loaf ingredients in the machine before we go to bed or alongside supper and then it is ready for us come morning to slice, butter and serve. You can also make your pizza dough and pastry crust doughs in there as well, just to name a couple.

Here is the simple recipe we have been using for our daily loaf for toast:


Ingredients

  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

  1. Place water, sugar, salt, oil, bread flour and yeast into pan of bread machine.
  2. Bake on White Bread setting . Cool on wire racks before slicing. allrecipes.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment